Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Brownie Love

I have a love hate relationship with brownies....as in, my taste buds love them and my tushie hates them. Seriously, making brownies for me should be a sin. I can't not eat a ton of batter. I think the batter alone is better than the actual brownie itself. I wonder if my brownie batter obsession will ever reach a height that makes me eat all of the batter and end up with no cooked brownies. Do I have it in me? I hope I never have to find out. My father swears he can eat a whole gallon of ice cream - you know what, I believe him. I fear that I got that gene from him...the over-do-it-in-the-sweets-department gene. I'm pretty sure scienctists are coming close to issolating it on chromosome 43.

Anyway, I digress. The topic of brownies does that to me.

The May 2007 issue of Family Fun magazine came over the weekend. Most things in it are too old for Timmy, but I read through it anyway. Imagine my elation at the recipe "Brownies in a Hurry." It was egg free. With Timmy's egg allergy, any baked good that is egg free begs me to try it.

Brownies in a Hurry
4 1/2 Tablespoons Melted Unsalted Butter, plus some for spreading
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square pan, then line it with parchment paper and butter the parchment paper. Mix the melted butter with the sweetened condensed milk. Stir in graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips. Scrape the dough in the pan and bake for 25 minutes. They will be golden and slightly puffy when done.


They were actually very delicious, but they were not brownies. They were more like chocolate chip cookie bars. It was actually a good substitution for them. I think I will try the recipe again, but will melt the chocolate chips and mix them with the wet ingredients before adding the graham cracker crumbs. Now that I am thinking of it, I wonder if I can make drop cookies out of this batter as well. Ohhhh, or can I make it with melted choc chips, then add white chocolate chunks to it - hey, you know there are a lot of possibilities with this recipe. Thank you Family Fun magazine.

By the way, Timmy wouldn't even try these. As a matter of fact, he very rarely tries the egg free baked goods I make (with the exception of cake). One can only assume, then, that the over-do-it in the sweets department gene has passed him over.

3 comments:

OhTheJoys said...

Oh, noooooooo. The Mayor will have to come whoop you with a paper towel roll for this!

Elle said...

Dude are you trying to give me a fat butt?? LOL. Those look so good and I LOVE brownies!

Anonymous said...

I have a batter problem too. I swear I could eat a batch of cookie dough or brownie batter myself. My favorite ice cream? Ben & Jerry's BROWNIE BATTER!! And I can feel my butt expand a little with each spoonful.

My kids are the same way with dough and batter. My 13-month-old daughter begs for cookie dough and then steals cookies off the table while they're cooling.

The brownie recipe - and all your ideas for them - sounds really awesome, too! Chocolate with chunks? YUM!!