Monday, February 12, 2007

Egg Allergy - More Info

The rice krispies treat cake was a success, but I still have a strong desire for a traditional cake. WHY am I putting myself through this torture??? I did some more searching for egg subsitutes, and I didn't find any other substitute, but I did learn that people usually only have success when they are substituting 2 eggs or less; Any more than that, and you won't get the desired results.

I tested that theory with banana bread yesterday. It only has two eggs, so I substitued 1.5 tblsp water, 1.5 tblsp. oil, and 1 tsp baking powder for each egg (mixed them together before adding to batter), and guess what! It worked!!! The banana bread didn't fall and it tasted great!

Following that discovery, I searched through my cookbooks and recipe box for cakes with 2 eggs or less. Not much luck, until I came across the Red Velvet Cake. It only has 2 eggs. I plan to try it on Wednesday - you know valentine's day is the perfect excuse to make a red cake (not to mention the fact that it is Todd's most favorite cake in the entire world). That's my plan for the next trail run. Although, I'm not sure I will frost it as before - that was a lot of work!

No comments: