Friday, February 9, 2007

Thoughts for the Day

My son is allergic to eggs and all nuts and seeds. Because I am allergic to peanuts, I expected him to be allergic to peanuts. I did not, however, expect him to be allergic to the other things as well. This is a whole new world for me! Also, and this is probably really bad of me to say, but I spent a year breast feeding the little guy in hopes of avoiding food allergies and asthma! WHY didn't it work? You know, I really think it's just what kids are pre-disposed to - the Breat Milk Warriors (you know who you are), should stop using the argument that it will decrease the child's chances of having allergies and asthma. My child didn't have a hope with a mother that has food allergies and has asthma! Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed breast feeding my son and will do the same for any other children that come along. All I am saying is that it didn't have the result I was most hoping for. Phew....that was a tangent! All of that because I am trying to come up with recipes.

I have been searching and searching for cookie and cake recipes without eggs - not an easy task! I did find a sugar cookie wihtout eggs, and it is a good substitute!
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookie
8oz cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda

Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla until well combined. Add flour and baking soda, then mix well. Form a disc, wrap in wax paper, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Pre-heat oven the 325 degrees. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness, cut cookies to desired shape (2 inch cutter). Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Frost with your favorite frosting.


His birthday is next month, so my current project is to find an egg subsitute for cake. I have tried several that are posted on www.kidswithfoodallergies.org, but each and every cake has sunk in the middle. They have all tasted really good, but just aren't working like an egg works. Suprisingly, the old Weight Watchers trick of adding a diet soda to a cake mix worked the best! I think I am making the problem worse because I bought a 3-D train cake pain (he's all about choo-choos, so I want him to have a train cake). A 3-D pan and cakes that sink do not work well together. Today's project is filling both sides of the cake pan with rice krispie treats, using frosting to glue both sides together, then frosting the rice krispie treat as if it were a cake. I'm not sure how well the details will show with the rice krispie treat, so who knows if it will work. If it does, I figure this will be a good option. Is there anyone that doesn't like a rice krispie treat? I assume that the kids will love it! Hey - maybe I will start a birthday cake fad! Ohhh- maybe it can be a new at home business! Okay - I am probably getting carried away. When it's all said and done, I think I will post a picture of today's creation....stay tuned!

No comments: