Thursday, March 29, 2007

Working Mom Day 3

So last night was the first night without the comfort of having my parents around. For the first two nights I worked, my Mom had everything done when I got home. Laundry, dinner, Timmy fed - that was a pretty sweet deal. Last night, the only comfort left was that she did the laundry. I managed to marinate some chicken before I left for work, so I was able to cook that when I got home. Todd and I, even though Todd is sick, had some pretty impressive team work going on. While I was cooking dinner, he was feeding Timmy. While Todd unloaded the dishwasher, I changed a dirty diaper. Then Todd kept Timmy busy while I loaded the dishwasher. I even managed to sweep and vacuum the floors! The only thing I didn't accomplish was putting the laundry away.
Today is my first day getting Timmy out the door. He has a well child visit this morning, so we are leaving about 15 minutes earlier than we will normally leave. In preparation for this, I put his clothes for the today in the bathroom. That way, when he is sitting on the potty doing his morning duty I can change him directly into what he will be wearing for the day. Bags are packed and ready to go. The only kink in the system is needing to give him a breathing treatment this morning. I will not normally need to do that, but since he is getting over his terrible cold, it is neccessary.
Let the day begin - I am ready for the challenges every working mother faces without the comfort of my Mom. Although, we are going to the in-laws' house for dinner - wow! Lucky me, I scraped by again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are blessed with help! You seem to be adjusting well.

I have 3 little ones, am a sahm, and have NO help. At least I don't have to wear a bra! lol xoxo

Unknown said...

Prepping the night before is KEY, in my opinion. Hooray for you that things are running smoothly. I know it must be an adjustment without the extra hands, but doesn't it feel GREAT knowing you can do it by yourself?

Even though I am home with my three and don't have to hop in the car to go to work, it's still a juggling act to get everyone together and out the door on time. Lists are my friend! Hannah made the mistake of telling me this morning that I don't have a real job. WHAT??!! And my husband sometimes says, "When you get a real job . . ." Anyway. I've been thinking of you.

PS - Thank you for the kind words regarding my crafting. I would LOVE to be able to be paid to do that all day long (and write my book!). I like your ideas of the frog, dragon, and train. Of course with Jacob loving trains, I had thought about that. And I've been thinking about dinosaurs lately. Oh, and you can stick them on just about anything, although I am partial to t-shirts for kids. I'm going to be putting my latest appliques on shirts to see how well they sell . . . :-)

Chicken Farmer said...

Teamwork, preparing the night before and a positive attitude....sounds like your recipe for success!!! I admire you!:)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're off to an OK start - although it's always tough when the kids are sick.

I went back to work when my son was 18 months old but had help from my mom. Now I'm home with my 13 month old daughter, and my husband works so much, it's all me anyway.

The best thing you can do while working is the same as when you're home - make a list and do as much as possible ahead of time. Good luck!