Thursday, November 8, 2007

Green Eggs and Ham


I introduced the childhood favorite this weekend. Timmy is enamored with it. I do believe it is his new favorite book. When was the last time you read this book? For me, it was this morning while Timmy was sitting on the potty. Do you remember it being an extraordinarily long book? I have had it for awhile and decided not to introduce it until now because it is so long. Even when I did introduce it, I had reservations that Timmy would lose interest after a few particularly long pages. His interest never waned. In fact, it is the number one requested book in our house right now – it’s right behind The Very Bad Bunny for requests.

What is it about this book that everyone loves – me included? I remember it being one of my childhood favorites. In 2nd grade Mrs. Hurd had a library system in her classroom; I remember checking this book out of her library at least a dozen times. Is it the great illustrations? Is it the catchy tone of the book? Or a combination of both? I’m not sure. Whatever it is, it works and works well.

Up next, The Cat in the Hat? I don’t know – it’s pretty long too. To be honest, I don’t remember it as well, but will make an effort to pull it out and pre-screen it for longevity and entertainment this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Favorite Dr. Seuss books are "If I Ran The Circus" and "Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose." Those are exceptionally long, too . . .

Anonymous said...

Joey always loved that book, and now Peaches does too. In fact, Joey read it to Peaches recently and halfway through looked at me and said, "Wow, I do NOT remember this book being this long!"

The longest Dr. Seuss book that we read all. the. time. was the Sleep Book. I think I still know most of it without looking at the pages. :o)

Oh, and I saw you're having a girl. Congratulations!!

Dana said...

Thanks for stopping by...I totally wish I could say that was my home, but it wasn't...ugggh!! I loved the Green eggs and ham book as a child...my mom makes my boys green eggs every once in a while and they LOVE them...you should try that!

Lainey-Paney said...

My son is 2, and HE LOVES DR.SEUSS BOOKS! Our current favorite: The Eye Book. Seriously, I can almost recite the whole book. It's very cute.

the cat in the hat is very long.