Monday, January 21, 2008

IUD

Sometime last week I got a new parenting magazine in the mail. My inner blonde doesn't allow me to remember which is was, and it doesn't really matter. Anyway, as Timmy was settling down for the night and watching a few mintues of tv before bed (does that make me a bad mom that part of his wind down for bed is about 20 minutes of PBS Sprout?), I picked up the magazine. The first ad in teh magazine I paid any mind to was an ad for an IUD. I started to think about it, and put it on the back burner in my mind.

Later that night, the hubs was innocently watching tv while I was still thumbing through the magazine. It was then, that I decided to blast him with what was sitting in the back of my mind.

Me: "Instead of you getting the snip, snip when after the baby is born, why don't I just get an IUD? It's 99.9% effective and it lasts for 5 years. That way, when the little pink frosted bun in the oven starts kindergarten, we can have the option of having another...if we want."
Hubs: "Are you high?"
Me: "C'mon. We could have 3, and it would be 5 years from now."
Hubs: "No way. We are only having 2 kids. When she is born I am making the appointment."
Me: "Are you sure you don't want to think about it."
Hubs: "I'm positive!"

Here's the thing, a small part of me would like to have 3 kids. Then, the smart part of me takes over and remembers my vow during the first trimester of both pregnancies, "I'm never doing this again." Then, I think how great it would be to have another (talk to me 6 months from now and see if my attitude is still the same). Driving into work a couple of days later, I was still thinking about it. My last and final thought, however, was, "Holy crap! If this, by some miracle, were an option, then the next baby would be born when I am 40 - that's not okay!" That sealed it for me.

I guess that will day surgery for the hubs in a few months, then the whining will commence (scratch that, the whining will start when the appoinment is made - to which I will find some response about squeezing something the size of a watermelow out of something the size of a lemon).

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

My Hubs got the snip the day after my daughter was born...there is a small part of me that wishes he hadn't - like right now, I am totally late (almost a month!) and I would love to have the excitement of wondering, but I know it is just some stupid hormonal weirdness and eventually my "friend" will show up...ugh....sometimes I think 3 would be nice, other times I think two is too much...Hubs, on the other hand, couldn't be more thrilled with his certainty of no more offspring...men.....

Anonymous said...

IUD - I wouldn't suggest them to anyone. I had one for 3 years and for the final year of it I had a yeast infection that wouldn't go away. (yes, full year) It was when I got it removed that my doctor (different than put it in) told me that they are a breeding ground for bacteria and infections. Also, your hubby'd feel it and according to my hubby it's NOT a pleasant feeling.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Life As I Know It said...

We are tossing around the idea of #3 right now. We're 36 and I'm thinking we're getting old! Tell me I'm wrong...

Fratzels said...

Old is only how you feel. If you can do it at 36, then i applaud you!

At 34, I was on a cross country plane ride with my 2 1/2 year old son thinking...I am way too old for this. Why didn't we do this right after we got married?

I brought it up again last night, after the hubs read your comment - he said...it's over - the baby book has closed.

Anonymous said...

I got the Mirena IUD - Other forms of birth controls weren't working for me because I had trouble remembering them (I tried the pill & the patch) . . . and though my husband wanted to get the snip, luckily he was so young (22!!) his doctor said not until he was 26! I was thankful because we were so young I didn't want anything done "permenant" (though there is a small chance with the IUD of increased infections, which can cause scarring, which can cause infirtility) It's time to get mine changed and I talked to my husband to get his oppinion on whether I should get another one or not (I wouldn't let him decide for me but valued how he felt). He said he was all for it because mine really helped get rid of all cramps and I have had virtually no period for a few years now (not common that it completely goes away, but can happen) he appreciates how much it helps me. He did mention that he can tell I have it because he says sometimes it "pokes" him . . . he says it's not a big enough problem to ask me not to get another one (I was shocked because he had never mentioned it before so I had no idea!!!).

I have had more yeast infections than I had previously (about one a year) and virtually had none prior.

I was willing to take the risk of scarring and infirtility . . . I wouldn't be able to have anymore if my husband got the snip either so . . . I'm now 30 and he's 28, our kids are 7 & 5, he's still adament that we are done (sigh). I can live with that. And it helps mentally knowing there is still the possiblity even though I KNOW he will not change his mind. The possiblity is enough to keep me happy.

The end of cramps and periods are enought to get me get another one. You just have to decide what is important to you. I would probably get another one even if my husband got the snip . . . and he would support me on that too.

THANKS!