Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Try it Tuesday



Here's something different for Try it Tuesday. Try having the hubs cook dinner! I have a terrible cold that has traveled to my chest and is making me miserable. The hubs took pity on me and cooked Sunday night (I will give credit to him for cooking last night too). He actually enjoys cooking and is pretty good at it. Somewhere along the line of being with me for 9 years, he stopped cooking. Why did that happen? Don't get me wrong, he still grills food in the summer time. It's the day to day that he stopped doing. Having said that...I will say that he picked it up again for a few weeks when I went back to work. I would come home and he would already be there working on dinner; this was a great turn of events. Like most good things, however, that came to an end too.

Anyway, the Try it Tuesday this week is for making your own take out. The hubs is on a Fried Rice kick, so he gave it a go.

Cold Sticky Rice (servings to cook should equal amount of people you are serving - he did two servings). the rice needs to be cooked and cooled. I never believed it before, but now I know - it doesn't stick to the wok. After many failed attempts at buying the right kind of rice (we tried short grain, long grain, jasmine, basmati....), I finally bought the rice in the white paper sack in the Asian food section - oh what a difference - it's perfect for any kind of Asian food!
Garlic - to your taste
2 Onions (white) - chopped - we live a little big to keep the sweet taste.
Onions - green for garnish
1 carrot - finely diced
1 celery - finely diced
1/2 orange bell pepper - finely diced (we happened to have this in the fridge, otherwise it wouldn't have been used)
1/2 cup frozen peas - defrosted
2 pieces chicken breast - cut into bit size pieces
soy sauce - to your own taste
oil - enough to saute

Pre-heat the wok over high heat. Add the oil, garlic and soy sauce, stirring constantly so as not to burn garlic. Add chicken and cook 3/4 of the way. Add the onions and saute until soft. Add the carrots, celery and any other non cooked veggie you choose. Cook until veggies are soft. Add the rice and more soy sauce. Heat the rice through. Add the peas and green onions. Stir until peas are heated through.

Some people add an egg at the end by making a well in the center and scrambling the egg in the well, then stirring the cooked egg throughout the rice. With the little man's egg allergy, we skip that part.

It's yummy and simple to do. The most difficult part is chopping the vegetables.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say whenever they want to make dinner, I'll eat whatever they cook. Last night my hubby made fried chicken and mixed the eggs with the bread crumbs. I didn't have to cook - didn't say a word except "thanks." :o)

The fried rice looks like he turned out quite well though! Hope you're feeling better too! Nothing like being pregnant and sick - yuck!!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I am sorry you are not feeling well.....but woo-hoo on the hubs cooking!

Maybe he can continue it from time to time....even when you are healthy!

Life As I Know It said...

My husband likes to cook also and is usually the chef on the weekends. Love it!