Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Book Review

Imagine my surprise when I got an email from Lynn Bowen Walker a couple of months ago asking me to be a part 30 blogs in 30 days book review. Me? My little ole' blog that hasn't been around very long? I was so excited that someone actually wanted my opinion, so she sent me her book, Queen of the Castle, 52 weeks of encouragment for the unispired, domestically challenged or jaut plain tired homemaker.


The author admits to needing helpful mom books, but not ever finding a book that encompasses everything she was looking for. She needed a book that included everything a mother could possibly ever need to know into one book. Ms. Walker has broken this book down into 52 sections - 1 for each week. This makes it easy enough for even the busiest of moms to handle.

Every week she includes 2 new words to add to your vocabulary - and they are fun words. I especially like "Fusty," which means: smelling of mildew or decay. If I were to use this in a sentence to fit into my world today, I would say "I would rather smell fusty socks that artificial peach."

Occasionaly, she throws in a chocolate break, which is a fantastic tried recipe. The first one I came upon was for a chocolate s'more pie - sounds delish! And bonus, there aren't any eggs in it, which means my allergic little prince can eat it!

She also ends each section with a Bible verse and a prayer. It's a fantastic way for a mother to get in a weekly verse to mediate on and pray about.

In between all of this, you get ideas on gardening, lunch box suggestions, Easter ideas, grocery shopping and meal ideas (who couldn't use a few more ideas to put into their rotation?), flea markets, friendship, and a whole slew of other topics.

This is a top notch mothering book, and one I would recommend to new mothers. I will say, however, that it made me long for the days when I was still home with Timmy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun read ~ definitely a lot better than you-know-what that was just full of negative energy. I'll have to add it to the list!